Thursday, January 31, 2013

Horatio Hornlawyer

I understand that sometimes those overseas factories have a hard time figuring out what English-language words to put on their products.  I imagine it goes something like this (in, of course, another language):

Modeler: "Boss, I've finished the new figurine design."
Boss: "Great! Get it on the production floor."
Modeler: "Well, there's a problem. I don't have any titles for the books, and it looks silly to leave them blank."
Boss: "Can't you just make something up?"
Modeler: "I think we ought to use real book titles; otherwise, it'll look like we didn't even try."
Boss: "Where are they being shipped to?"
Modeler: "America, I think."
Boss: "They speak English in America, right? Hey, I think our company lawyer has some English-language books in his office. Go copy those titles down and put them on the model."


That's the only reason I can figure that you'd end up with an adorable little sailor-suited bear playing with his model sailboat, like this:

Isn't Sailor-Bear cute?

...While sitting atop a stack of law texts:

He'd better be cute. If you say otherwise, he'll sue you.

No comments:

Post a Comment